The DeLorme inReach SE Satellite Tracker saves lives. That’s the impression you tend to get when you read the numerous reviews written by utterly grateful owners who got lost while hiking and were found through the DeLorme GPS device.
It does seem sensible that if you want to be on the safe side when you’re hiking along unfamiliar trails, you bring along the DeLorme inReach SE with you. It’s a device that can get you the help and rescue you need when you’re in trouble.
If you’ve experienced getting lost while hiking, you already know that it’s a terrifying experience. With this device, at least such an experience is more likely to end up with you getting found. If you’ve never been lost, don’t think it will never happen to you.
Accidents are by definition unexpected events, and getting accidentally lost is more common than you think. At least with this device you’re more prepared.
<a href=”https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-inReach-SE-Satellite-Tracker/dp/B00BX7TJ2O/ref=as_li_ss_il?keywords=DeLorme+inReach+SE&qid=1557566795&s=electronics&sr=1-3&linkCode=li2&tag=crediblecycli-20&linkId=39231a2f1bf6b5afb8c2a7cd19a3ef98&language=en_US” target=”_blank”><img border=”0″ src=”//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B00BX7TJ2O&Format=_SL160_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=crediblecycli-20&language=en_US” ></a><img src=”https://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=crediblecycli-20&language=en_US&l=li2&o=1&a=B00BX7TJ2O” width=”1″ height=”1″ border=”0″ alt=”” style=”border:none !important; margin:0px !important;” />
Features of the DeLorme inReach SE Satellite Tracker
The DeLorme inReach looks like an early-generation cellphone, with the upper half featuring a display screen and the button half with control buttons.
- It’s easy enough to bring with you on hikes. It’s only 5.8 inches long and 2.4 inches wide. It only weighs 7 ounces.
- It’s powered by a rechargeable battery, and a full charge gives you an impressive 100 hours of use at a time.
- It comes with a map of your area, and it can track your location at preset intervals such as every 10 minutes. Since this inReach is also a communication device, you can send your location details to your contacts, and they’ll know your GPS coordinates, elevation, and even your speed.
- It works in tandem with your iOS or Android device, so that you can follow the map and find your location and your way. It pairs through Bluetooth.
- Even as a standalone device, it allows you to send 160-character texts to social media. You can also use the DeLorme Explore web portal to share trips and messages with all your contacts.
- You’re also able to trigger an SOS message in case you get into an emergency situation. The unit enables you to have a 2-way text messaging conversation with GEOS. This is a 24/7 monitoring center that can help coordinate and dispatch search and rescue teams to your location should you get lost or hurt along the way.
- It uses the vaunted Iridium satellite network, which is the largest in the world. It’s the only satellite network that offers completely 100% satellite coverage for 2-way communication. There are no gaps or weak areas to worry about. It’s no wonder that the US military uses this network as well.
- The screen isn’t all that bad, and that’s because you can just pair it with your smartphone and use that screen instead.
- It is much more reliable than your smartphone when you need to communicate with others, because it’s much less likely to suffer a lack of signal.
- With the inReach, you can post to social media. You can also send text messages to people on their smartphones. They don’t need to get a DeLorme device to receive your texts through your inReach.
- People who care about you can track and monitor your location as you go on your hike, so they always know where you are.
- This lets you send a prepared SOS message to a rescue monitoring center, and you can talk to them through text to update them on your condition.
- The unit is also tough, and it can even work after being submerged for a short while. That’s why you can use it on a boat too.
- You have to subscribe to a DeLorme plan if you want to use the inReach. This is the main sticking point for many disgruntled buyers. You have to get at least the minimum 30-day plan if you just want to use this for a weekend trip that you take once a year.
- Even the unit is itself is a bit on the pricey side. Using the Delorme inReach will require a rather considerable investment.
- It comes with just a USB charger, so you need to get a wall charger. There’s also no option for using disposable AA batteries instead.
If you tend to hike only once or twice a year and you only travel through familiar trails, then perhaps this isn’t ideal for you. However, if you’re an enthusiastic hiker and you tend to try out many new and different routes and trails at every opportunity, you really ought to bring this DeLorme inReach SE along.
With this, you just don’t have a GPS device that tracks your steps and guides your way. It’s also a dependable communications device that allows you to call for help.
With the GPS device, your rescuers can find their way to you more quickly—regardless of where in the world you might be!