Millions of people go hiking every year, but not all of them are hardcore enthusiasts. Some are just occasional trekkers who like to go along familiar paths. Others are newbies who want to just try an intriguing alternative outdoor adventure to just biking.
Many kids are starting out with hiking too. For these people, it may help to have the Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator along for the trip.
The eTrex 10 is a handheld GPS that shows you your position on a map, using the satellites orbiting the earth to triangulate your position. It’s a base model from Garmin, which has established quite a heady reputation in the GPS and activity tracking industry.
This makes it affordable to buy and easy to learn, which makes it perfect for beginners and casual hikers.
<a href=”https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Worldwide-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B00542NV32/ref=as_li_ss_il?keywords=Garmin+eTrex+10&qid=1557566375&s=electronics&sr=1-3&linkCode=li2&tag=crediblecycli-20&linkId=a91d8990f0bd69ac8c4754e3b2c1d5b8&language=en_US” target=”_blank”><img border=”0″ src=”//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B00542NV32&Format=_SL160_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=crediblecycli-20&language=en_US” ></a><img src=”https://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=crediblecycli-20&language=en_US&l=li2&o=1&a=B00542NV32″ width=”1″ height=”1″ border=”0″ alt=”” style=”border:none !important; margin:0px !important;” />
Features of the Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator
So what can you expect with this affordable price tag? Luckily, you may receive a lot of help on your hike. Despite the low price, it is still a quality item.
- It measures just 4 inches long and 2.1 inches wide, with a weight of only 5 ounces. You can hold it easily in one hand, and then you can put it back in your pocket if you want.
- It tracks your position using not just the GPS satellites, but also using the Russian GLONASS satellites as well. With these Russian satellites, your receiver can lock onto a position about 20% faster than with GPS satellites. The eTrex 10 tracks both GPS and GLONASS at the same time, and it has the Hotfix satellite prediction system to ensure reliable connections.
- You then get to see your position using the preloaded worldwide basemap. This can show the topographic detail in 2D or 3D form, along with elevation profiles and contour lines. You get to see the data on the 2.2-inch monochrome screen with 128 by 160p resolution.
- As you go on your hike, you can save data along the way. It can save 10,000 waypoints, 200 tracks, and 50 routes.
- it uses 2 AA batteries, and lasts for about 25 hours at a time. The longer battery life is due to the use of buttons instead of a touchscreen.
- It is well-suited for the outdoors, as it is notably robust and durable. It can take being dropped by careless kids. It’s even waterproof enough (IPX7) that it’s no trouble to use it while it’s raining.
- It’s also easy enough to bring along with you. It’s easy to handle with one hand, and the weight is negligible. The screen is also not a problem to read, whether it is day or night.
- The fantastic battery life and the use of AA batteries mean that you won’t have to worry about losing power at any point during your trip. You can just bring along a bunch of spare batteries and you’re covered.
- It can keep you from being lost when you’re hiking, biking, or walking through a strange city. You can store GPX files here that offer track information to help guide your way. It shows you the directions you need to take on your trip.
- You also get a free trip planner program. You can designate waypoints and track your routes.
- It also connects to the satellites very quickly.
- The main drawback to the eTrex 10 is that you can’t connect an SD card to the unit, so there’s no way for you to load it with your custom maps.
If you’re new to hiking or you just go on treks on an infrequent basis, do you really need something advanced, complicated, and expensive for your GPS unit? That doesn’t really make a lot of sense.
An overly complicated GPS device may feel too intimidating for newbies and young kids, and that may put them off from hiking as a result. Also, kids tend to break things a bit more often, and so you may want to minimize your risk by getting an inexpensive model.
The great thing about the Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator is that it introduces newbies to hiking nicely. It really helps that it’s not just helpful, but also simple to use and easy to learn.
It’s quite a robust unit as well, as it can take a bit of carelessness. If it’s your first time to buy a GPS device or if you’re buying a unit for a beginner, this is a terrific first choice.
Newcomers can familiarize themselves with GPS devices in general and foster a greater appreciation of hiking, and that may lead to more advanced and expensive GPS devices in the future. For now, the eTrex 10 should do just fine.