Ask a watch snob about the wristwatch and they will say that it’s more than just a gadget that tells time. With the right watch (typically mechanical and using Swiss movements), you can wear a work of art on your wrist and gain an air of elegance in even the most casual settings.
Or you can go for greater function and practicality if you’re an active athlete and outdoorsman, and get the Garmin Fenix 3 GPS Watch instead.
The Fenix 3 is a wristwatch, and not a GPS device that you need to hold in your hand. This is a crucial difference, and it enables you to do a lot more with your GPS as you go about your active life.
You need to pair it with Garmin Connect and your smartphone, and the applications are many indeed.
<a href=”https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-fenix-GPS-Watch-Gray/dp/B00RY1YWSO/ref=as_li_ss_il?keywords=Garmin+Fenix+3&qid=1557565954&s=electronics&sr=1-4&linkCode=li2&tag=crediblecycli-20&linkId=bbc6d5756feda0f416307c357436a795&language=en_US” target=”_blank”><img border=”0″ src=”//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B00RY1YWSO&Format=_SL160_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=crediblecycli-20&language=en_US” ></a><img src=”https://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=crediblecycli-20&language=en_US&l=li2&o=1&a=B00RY1YWSO” width=”1″ height=”1″ border=”0″ alt=”” style=”border:none !important; margin:0px !important;” />
Features of the Garmin Fenix 3 GPS Watch
Basically, Garmin took the functionality of their specialty watches (running, fitness, swimming, and even biking) and then put everything in a single watch. That’s the ultimate functionality of the Garmin Fenix 3 GPS Watch. It can do just about anything any watch can do for any activity you enjoy.
- It’s a GPS device first and foremost. It uses a premium all-direction EXO antenna made of stainless steel. It connects your watch with both GPS and GLONASS satellites. With the Russian GLONASS system, it’s actually significantly faster to get a lock on a satellite. It also speeds things up by using EPO (Extended Prediction Orbit) which enables the watch to find the satellites more quickly.
- It features the Garmin Chroma Display. It is 1.2 inches in diameter and it’s readable in sunlight. However, what you see on the display depends entirely on your customization preferences. You can see the data you want and the format you want it in.
- You can use it for running, as it can report various metrics. You can use it along with the heart rate monitor and run monitor and you can even find out about your running dynamics.
- It is useful for swimming activities, and it helps that it’s rated for 100 meters. That’s a rating that makes it perfect for swimming. Just input the size of the swimming pool and you’ll know your distance, stroke count, and pace.
- It also has a ski/board mode that also offers vertical drop information. You get this type of data because the Fenix 3 has an altimeter, a barometer, and an internal compass.
- You can also use it for hiking. You can store up to 1,000 waypoints and 10,000 tracks here, and you can find your way back to your previous locations.
- It lets you receive notifications and texts from your iPhone or Android smartphone.
- The battery is rechargeable, and a full charge can get you 20 hours in GPS or training mode. With the battery-saving UltraTrac mode, that’s extended to 50 hours. If you’re just in regular watch mode, it can last up to 6 weeks before you need to recharge it.
- It is extremely useful for many sorts of activities. If you live a very active lifestyle, then you’ll find the Fenix 3 a perfect companion for all your adventures.
- What’s extremely gratifying is that it’s not limited to providing just the basic information and features for your various activities. So for running, it’s even able to track your gains by estimating the maximum volume of oxygen you consume per minute. It can check your ground contact time and even your vertical oscillation.
- This is also a very hardy unit, and it’s water-resistant too. With the exception of diving it can survive just about any activity you can perform. It works perfectly when you’re swimming or even snorkeling.
- The watch looks great, simply because you can get it to look any way you want. You can use a photo from your smartphone and set it as the background for your watch face.
- The battery lasts for a long time.
- It connects with the GPS satellites readily.
- It can be a bit expensive, though in online stores like Amazon you may save quite a bit of money.
This is an all-in-1 multisport that’s hard to resist. It checks off all the features you’d want to see in a wristwatch if you’re continuously on the go. It doesn’t matter where you go, the Garmin Fenix 3 can take it and it can provide the data you need to help you with your activities.
It does offer just the basic information for activities such as hiking, as obviously you don’t get a map on the watch dial to see where you currently are.
It’s not just functional, but it can look great too. Its look is actually up to you, as you can customize the face and the features according to your preferences. So if it doesn’t look good, that’s your fault.