It’s not always easy to explain the joys of hiking. Why exactly are we treading through challenging terrain? Why do we seem to ignore the dangers, such as getting lost or injured along the way? It’s all about the challenge, and we don’t ignore the difficulties and the possibility of getting lost.
That’s why we have gadgets like the super-advanced Garmin GPSMAP 64st, TOPO U.S. 100K with High-Sensitivity GPS and GLONASS Receiver. This 64st eliminates a lot of what makes hiking worrisome, and you’re left with just the fun aspects of going on a trail.
<a href=”https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Worldwide-Handheld-Subscription-Preloaded/dp/B07K8ZW7TR/ref=as_li_ss_il?keywords=Garmin+GPSMAP+64st&qid=1557565599&s=electronics&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&linkCode=li2&tag=crediblecycli-20&linkId=90eb9adb076a0639cebd7e814e2d490e&language=en_US” target=”_blank”><img border=”0″ src=”//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B07K8ZW7TR&Format=_SL160_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=crediblecycli-20&language=en_US” ></a><img src=”https://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=crediblecycli-20&language=en_US&l=li2&o=1&a=B07K8ZW7TR” width=”1″ height=”1″ border=”0″ alt=”” style=”border:none !important; margin:0px !important;” />
Features of the Garmin GPSMAP 64st, TOPO U.S. 100K with High-Sensitivity GPS
The mid-priced Garmin GPSMAP 64st is actually one of the more advanced GPS devices in the industry, and it offers a lot more features than you may realize at first glance.
You’ll need to sit down and figure it out, using the manual and probably a lot of internet articles and YouTube videos to show you what you can do. It’s not practical to list down all the features, but here are some of the key ones.
- It uses an extremely sensitive receiver along with a quad-helix antenna for terrific reception to connect to both GPS and GLONASS satellites. While the standard GPS satellites are made by the US military, GLONASS is Russian. GLONASS is able to connect 20% faster.
- It has a worldwide basemap featuring shaded relief. It comes preloaded with TOPO U.S. 100K maps, and that means it works wherever you are in the US. That includes Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico too. In addition, you get a 1-year BirdsEye Satellite Imagery subscription so that you can get accurate images of your environment.
- It offers a micro SD slot so you can put in new maps for your use, and you have 8GB of memory for storage. You can use TOPO 24K maps and start your hike, BlueChart maps for sailing adventures, and even City Navigator maps to find your way around a strange city. The unit is compatible with Garmin Custom Maps too.
- Here you also get 250,000 preloaded caches from Geocaching.com. Geocaching is a fun way to get newbies interested in hiking, as it’s about going on a “treasure hunt”. The information you get includes the location of the prizes, the condition of the terrain, the level of difficulty, and various hints and descriptions.
- It comes with Bluetooth connectivity, as well as ANT+ wireless technology. This means you can connect wirelessly with a wide range of devices, including such esoteric devices as speed and cadence devices, temperature sensors, and even a heart rate monitor.
- You can upload your data to Garmin connect and then view it through a smartphone. In fact, with Live Track you can show your contacts what you’re doing as it happens.
- The unit also comes with a compass, accelerometer, and a barometric altimeter. They’re all advanced—the compass even compensates for the tilt so you know the heading even when you don’t hold the 64st level like other compasses. The barometric altimeter can help set your exact elevation, and it can even help you track barometric pressure changes that can indicate a change in weather conditions.
- It is quite easy to bring along with you, as it’s only 6.3 inches long and it only weighs 8.1 ounces. It uses buttons so you can use it while wearing gloves.
- It’s great that here you have the option of using 2 AA batteries or an optional rechargeable NiMH battery pack which allows for recharging without removing the battery pack from the unit.
- The large 2.6 screen display is very easy and nice to use, with its colorful screen is readable even in sunlight.
- With lots of memory and the capability of installing more maps, you really can make sure that you never get lost whenever you may be in the US.
- With the geocaching, you can entice kids into hiking as a hobby. Instead of being a “pointless exercise”, now they can be on a mission to find treasure. They can overcome challenges and succeed in reading maps to help them love going on hikes.
- The free software also lets you save and manage your tracks, routes, waypoints, and maps. You can then just share your data with all your contacts.
- You’ll need a lot of patience to learn about all the features offered by the 64st. It doesn’t help that the manual isn’t quite as detailed as it should be. This means a lot of testing and trying out, while you go online and find instructional videos to help.
If you’re rather serious about hiking, you really need to consider investing in the Garmin 64st. It’s durable, reliable, and extremely helpful. It offers a lot of information that you can use, and it provides a lot of convenience as well.
In fact, if you can afford it then you really should just get it when you’re a newbie. That’s because it can make hiking a lot more fun than you realize.